Sunday, March 14, 2010

Fearless...

Two weeks ago at a league meeting, right after the Wild West Showdown, I told this story:

So we were warming up and we would pass the Jet City Rollergirl's "Bomb Squad" and hear "yeahhh!" and then we hit the other corner and hear "booooo". My first thought was "who the fuck boos anyone?" And then I figured it out. There was a "B" team of a high ranking league who the Bombers had beaten and suddenly we were enemies with their "A" team. I was baffled until I realized that most of the "B" team was now the "A" team and they were the ones booing us. (Once again. Who the fuck boos anyone?)

Right at half time, the Philly Rollergirls showed up and they sat down (unintentionally) in front of this team who were booing us and they were like "this is a great game." Some fans told them how Jet City fought a 30+ point deficit and were ahead by 2 points at the half. Suddenly - when we skated by - it was "YEEAAHHHH (Bomb Squad)...YEAAAAHHHH (Philly)". They out cheered this other team.

And it was awesome.

Tonight someone booed a league mate- which we don't do. Jet City Rollergirls do not boo refs, opposing skaters, visiting fans, other teammates - ever. We certainly don't allow teammates to boo; we don't allow fans to boo refs; we don't allow fans to boo anyone. But somehow it happened. It happened to a skater who worked her ass off to get through a line up of Nikki, Molly, Fuzz, Jude ... any skater who takes a lickin' and gets up and fights all over again deserves nothing but cheers and applause and constant encouragement... I love your effort. I love your tenacity. And even if you beat me you deserve my respect.

But someone booed a skater tonight. And my heart is broken for that skater. I'm also so angry at this fan who thought they had the right to boo anyone. Strap on a pair of skates and try to get around Nikki, avoid a hit from Trixxie, get around Cia, take on Dixie and Luna, stare Retro in the face. If you can do all of that - you are fearless - but you didn't. But someone else did. And she deserves my respect.

No comments: