Thursday, March 19, 2009

Happy Spring, Happy Words!





It's been rainy and gray these last few weeks, pushing me to that point where I'm about to lose my mind when a little hint of spring shows up and reminds me to hang in there. It will be sunny. I will be able to go camping. All will be good again. Phew.





I was walking by Nordstorms downtown yesterday over lunch when I saw a gorgeous dress in the window that was perfect for my work event next week - the right color - strapless. I had this crazy idea that maybe perhaps it was a $100 dress and not a $500 dress. So I decided to go look at it. A saleswoman saw me looking around and jumped on board to help me find it. We did. It was $500. I just smiled at her and said, Oh you don't have my size (which they didn't) but she insisted that I try on the size one too large. I went into the dressing and did try it on. And it was one size too large. And though it was a beautiful dress it wasn't $500 beautiful. I handed it off to her, told her it was too large and that I would come back when I had more time...like to eat lunch. (They have a great little restaurant. Weedy and I call it "Nordy's" and we love to go - tasty!)



Last night glancing over my hospital delivered, yet to read, Vanity Fair (with our new president on the cover!) when I stumbled across a paragraph of great writing that made me smile - and reread it. The article was about all of the books coming out for Baby Boomers - giving them yet something else to do in life - as James Wolcott was analysing, it was like all of the sudden they all needed to go to the grocery store and grab more experiences in life and try to collect them all. There are the books "a hundred places to visit before you die" or the film "The Bucket List"... I don't have a bucket list. Even with borderline-superhuman effort, I can barely get on major thing done a week, without adding bungee-jumping and whitewater rafting to the activity board. If anything, I take comfort in scratching off lofty to-do items that were basically daydreams that stuck around too long.

I like that, day dreams that stuck around too long. That's a great way to look at the "to-do" list in life.

* photo of the first sign of spring

No comments: