Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Waiting, the Odd Juan Out and wiii pain...

Tonight I met my friend Annika for dinner - Annika of living-and-traveling-all-over-the-world-who-I-visited-in-Egypt fame. We hadn't been able to get together in her nearly two weeks home because the snow stranded her in Edmonds and then pushed us up against the holidays. We (me, her and her friend Claire) met at La Carta in Ballard - possibly the BEST Mexican food ever - at least in Seattle. And there was a wait - there is always a wait. Even on a Tuesday night. We waited for 45 minutes but that wasn't the part that made us crazy - it was all of the people lolly-gagging, sitting at their tables, with their checks paid when there were 20+ people waiting for seats in the very busy, tiny Mexican restaurant. The three of us tried the "stair down" and even though of going and asking someone if they were about to leave (when they clearly weren't.) It took us less time to eat dinner than it did to get seated (of course by that time we were so hungry.) Rude. Really.


In spite of all that, we a had a great but brief time getting caught up and I was thrilled to be on her "short list" of people she visited with while home. It's hard. The first time she came back from living in Jordan she tried to see everyone. And I could relate - you have two hour visits with 7 different people each day - just skimming the surface of their lives. It is much nicer and just easier to manage when you can spend more quality of time with people. And that's how you end up NOT telling people you're home - because it's impossible to see them all. So you see some on one trip home and others on another trip. It's just better that way. But it's always nice to be on the "short list".


Last night, I created some wiipeople. Before Lara had gotten the memory card, I just selected different "people" for different sports and gave them different names. Juan and Padro were my characters for tennis - doubles. They were a pretty kick butt pair (and Padro was pretty strong in the front) so yesterday, before getting started I got to "create" Juan and Padro. It was silly and fun. And when you play other games like "find the two look alikes" you find yourself shouting "Juan and Padro!" "Maya and Aisha!" "Joulee!" Wiii people. Cute.


I was at work this morning when I realized that my arm was sort. I tried to think of what it could be from (swimming? carrying groceries? carrying my bag weird?) and the only conclusion was "wiii pain". Yes, I had wiii arm, tennis elbow, whatever from bowling, playing tennis and shooting UFOs. Of course, I found that hilarious and had to tell everyone about it.



*pictures of Rebecca's twins! Look how cute they are! And they're real!

No comments: