Wednesday, October 01, 2008

No luck with my new super power....

I didn't get anyone on "rabbit rabbit" today and consequently all of my luck has been taken for the month and that was pretty apparent today as my mailing kind of went down the tubes and I spent the whole morning obsessing about sharks. Poor sharks. My friend Kathy laughed when I told her about how upsetting slaughtering millions of sharks for a trendy soup was. She said she didn't think that saving the sharks really solves the problem - they are really just the victim of a much larger issue. Of course, she's right.

That made me think of my superpower. It's a question Megan asked when I went camping over Labor Day weekend - if you could have a super power - any super power - what would it be? I now ask this question anytime I go camping. I thought Megan had the best ever - to be able to speak any language. Of course, I came up with an even better one today! I would have "trend setter" capabilities. I could swoop down into any culture and create different trends: Make it trendy for Americans to walk to work... the French find smoking is no long chique... Taiwanese reject shark fin soup. Roller derby makes it as a national sport... I would only use my power for good - I promise.

Getting back to sharks... so that documentary was great and completely disturbing on how we're killing the sharks who are so necessary for our oceans. Oceans=oxygen=life on earth. That is on equation that I pulled away from the film Shark Water. It's amazing and I highly recommend it to everyone. And I'll be perfectly honest, you'll want to do everything possible the next day to save the sharks. You really will.

And just to give you a head start, here are something you can do:

Ways you can help save sharks http://www.savingsharks.com/

Thank you for your passion and support! You can help save sharks by telling everyone you know to watch Sharkwater and spread the word. We need to give sharks a new image and make ocean conservation a part of our daily lives. Click here for more about saving sharks and to send this to a friend.

Ways to get involved:

Watch and tell your friends to see Sharkwater. Find out more at http://www.sharkwater.com/.

Tell teachers and students to watch Sharkwater, then download the study guides at http://www.sharkwater.com/ for info and photos about shark conservation.

Don’t eat shark fin soup—refuse to eat at restaurants that serve it; encourage others to do the same.

Dive and snorkel with sharks. The more money that goes into shark tourism the more people will realize the value of keeping sharks alive.

Find out if your country is one of the 17 countries that have banned shark finning. If not, write your local government official asking them to ban shark finning.

Demand that your country stop the sale/importation of shark fins.

Click here if you would like to volunteer your product, service or talents at some future date.
Start a letter writing campaign to the Secretary General of the UN requesting international bans on shark finning and the importation of fins. Click here to send a letter.

Visit http://www.seashepherd.org/ and similar organizations such as http://www.oceana.org/ and http://www.wildaid.com/, to take action to save sharks.

You can donate to help save sharks at http://www.sharkwater.com/.

Thank you!

Facts about sharks

  • Sharks have been around for more than 400 million years
  • There are 375 shark species
  • Sharks are intelligent and can be trained
  • 100 million sharks are killed each year for their fins
  • The largest shark is the Whale shark, averaging 9 metres (30 feet) in length—the size of a large bus
  • Whale sharks are not aggressive. They eat zooplankton, small fish and squid.
  • When a shark loses a tooth, a new one grows in its place
  • Mako and Blue sharks are the fastest swimming sharks
  • Sharks can take hours or even days to die after being finned
  • Sharks are a critical part of marine ecosystems

No comments: