Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Yesterday...

The economy stressed me out. My longtime friend Denise and her husband both work at WaMu and though they're going to be fine - eventually - it's stressful when they have a new baby, a new condo and live in a city where she hasn't had many nibbles for a different job in the past few months (Chicago). Yesterday my friend Kelly-Rae got laid off from her retail job - she's an artist - a painter who maybe is realizing it might be time to take the plunge and "be a starving artist - for real." They become 6,7,8 of my friends or family who have become unemployed in the last few months (4 in September alone.) It's depressing and like nothing I've experienced before. (I was a kid in the 80's during the Saving and Loan scandal and other crisis. I had just come back from Peace Corps at the Dot Bomb.) Phew. And I'm trying to raise money in the climate.

Today...

I am watching a show on sharks. They're 450 million years old. Amazing. They survived 5 massive extinctions on Earth. And now there's so few of them. They're at the top of the food chain in the ocean which holds 80% of the world's living things. Boy, I hope they survive.

No comments: