Sunday, October 12, 2008

Flipping around...

On my way back from practice tonight I was flipping around the radio stations. (My hundred satellite radio has been disabled because of battery/alternator problems I was having.) I ran across Delilah which I've listened to periodically on every single road trips, on my way home from late night jobs, bored with the CDs in my car. Delilah hosts a radio show on the soft rock station and is a show were people call in to tell her about their love life, their problems with their children and other random rather emotional stuff - she dedicates a very sappy song to them. Reads them a poem. Gives them bits of wisdom. Cheeeeeesey. Sometimes I flip to Jack 101 which is modern country, reminding me of my brothers or an Oldies station for the familiarity established in my youth. I've listened to Focus on the Family driving between cities separated by vast amounts of rural Americ where I can't get any of the other stations and am saddened by such hatred and falsities. All these radio stations take me places - these songs and this music. Usually home.

This weekend was much like flipping through the various radio station.... I went to the annual dinner for Washington Women's Lawyers and got to hear Donna Brazile (who replace Elizabeth Edwards who canceled at the last minute) - she was amazing and inspiring. I was completely thrilled to have heard her speak and was motivated to do more. Saturday I went to a Derby Brat's practice - middle school and high school roller girls (some even younger!) who play against other "brat leagues". Trixxie and I teamed up to lead a couple of pairs of derby brats through some drills. They were great and it was so fun to teach what you knew. I raced home to shower and head off to the Obama Campaign where I was trained in GOTV canvassing (which I've already done) and was trained to answer the phones. After 4 hours there, I headed to Kelly Rae's art opening with Kate (Misses Unshine) and then out for some dancing at I Heart Shiva. It was a Bollywood with some great mashing going on. The main reason to go to dance, dance nights like these are to hear what's going on in the music scene in the rest of the world.

This morning I visited my P-Patch which needs to be winterized but the tomatoes won't let me do so just yet - I picked about 40 cherry tomatoes! I headed back to a very hectic campaign offices where I got moved off the phones and worked on signing people in for volunteer shifts and directing them to various offices and activities, ran to Target for things like kitty litter and then off to practice. It was a great practice. I left the Skate Deck, worn out from the weekend, flipping the radio station to find something to listen to, heading home.

No comments: