Thursday, October 09, 2008

That Mean Man...

He was a friend of the family and I've know Frank Miller since I've been alive. He was married to my mother's best friend from Denver, Janelle. He's was Melanie and Joey's dad. He was in the military. He had just finished a 3 week trip around the country visiting family members who were dying - his sisters-in-law has a terrible disease that escapes me now, another sibling had cancer and they visited Janelle's brother who is not ill. They stayed with my parents for the weekend on their way back home last weekend. They attended the funeral Melanie's mother in-law today. And then Frank had a massive heart attack and die this afternoon. He was 60. He was a friend of the family.

When I was a little kid though, I didn't like Frank. He was scary, always seemed angry. We would visit often as Janelle as they were just in Pittsburgh - not that far away. We spent many Thanksgivings there and they had this super fancy cable (just regular cable be we didn't get it in rural Ohio.) I was kind of afraid of Frank as a little kid - but I was just a little kid. What did I know? Of course as I got older I realized he just had this gruff demeanor.

And he wasn't that bad at all.

No comments: