Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Punished...

I called today to find a cheaper auto insurance rate. It happens every six months when I have to pay my bill that I think "this could be so much cheaper". (I still want collision because my car is still worth more than $5k - at least according to the Kelly Blue Book.) I don't always have the time or energy to look into it. However, when a colleague was shocked upon learning how much I paid - I decided to put forth a little more effort. So I spend about 1/2 hour at work this morning making another half hearted attempt to find good but cheaper insurance.

The first place I tried, the online tool wouldn't work so I called them. I gave them volumes of information and the came back with a quote almost equal to my current insurance. I asked "why? why aren't you any cheaper?" The woman on the phone responded, "You know they don't tell me why you get the rate you do. It could do with credit (mine is good), or if you're married (what?!) or if you own a house (really!) or multiple cars. (grrrr.)" So I'm being punished for not being married and having manageable debt? Which of course, I didn't mean to say out loud but I did and she felt bad. This happens often enough. I feel this way paying my taxes, applying for credit and other things. And I KNOW it's illegal to "punish" people for not being married. But then why do you get better rates "being married?" How does that make you more responsible or a better driver? And it's not a debate I honestly care about getting into. It's just one way to ruin your morning.

No comments: