Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Skating!

Tonight was "league open skate", hosted by the Rat City Roller Girls here in Seattle. Invited were teams for the neighboring communities: Dock Yard Derby Dames (Tacoma, where I started my love of all this insanity); Jet City Roller Girls (Everett); Oly Rollers (Olympia); Terminal City Roller Girls (Vancouver, BC!), a variety of new refs and of course PFM (not a league, but just the same...) And it was a fantastic time! I was thrilled to see all of the Tacoma gals, whom of course, hold a very dear place in my heart with the trials and frustrations of not only starting your own league but, for me, the insane commute to Tacoma. They're doing extremely well as a league and will be having a exposition bout in January - I can't wait to see!!

The practice was just fun. It was fun because the gals who all participate in this are just great. Everyone is very supportive, offered tips and were very encouraging - which is one of the big reasons I like roller derby and I like being involved - the sisterhood is very important to me. There are never enough positive opportunities for women to work and play together - this is one. Really there are a million reasons I enjoy derby (not to mention skating, the athleticism, team sport, skating, costumes, skating) but the whole sense of support and sisterhood was the one that stuck out the most tonight... plus, you know, you get to skate. Fast.

No comments: