Friday, October 27, 2006

You will soon encounter a string of good luck

is what my lunchtime fortune cookie from my cheap Safeway Chinese read. I have taped fortune cookies to a variety of computers, dashboards, book shelves throughout different periods in my life. I think a lot of it has to do with the 5 + years I spent working at Chinese restaurants.... patrons would open up their cookie and read the fortune outload to me, often saying about the numbers at the bottom "If I play these numbers and win the lottery, I'll give you half." (I'm still waiting for that day.) Fortunes are fun and poignant.

I could use some good luck: roller derby tryouts are coming up; I applied for a very competitive writer's retreat program and will find out soon... it's nice to have a little luck in my pocket.

I have to admit, I have the oddest luck. I lost $60 out on the town one very dark winter evening and found a $20 at the bus stop a week later. I pinched my tire on a curb and because Cosco didn't carry the brand they sold me (in Cleveland), they replaced all four for the price of one. I started chatting with a woman in line for the bathrooms and she let me know about derby in Tacoma... luck or chance. Either way, it's a good thing to have some.

And a sense of humor too.

No comments: