Monday, October 30, 2006

Happy Halloween!

This weekend was full of holiday revelry as I attended the usual fun pumpkin carving party (honestly just an excuse to drink) where I carved an award-winning Jack-O-Lanterns; went out to hear a friend DJ LT at a private event and then drove LT and Glitter Chicken (Dani's newly acquried name that she doesn't really remember getting) to a very dull party (left after 3 minutes) and temporarily crashing a much more lively one. Dressing up a space age pirate, though the only thing space age was really the fun skirt I sewed specifically for a party, it was great to be tromping around the city for Halloween. Sunday was a gorgeous fall day - much like a mid western one - with big fluffy clouds drifting by a brilliant blue sky. Fat rain drops. Cold wind. Leaves swirling around. It was perfect.

This year will mark the first year that I am not spending Halloween with Rebecca and Gabriel. We started this tradition the year he was born when Rebecca was still in graduate school (crazy, yes). She had class on Halloween night and there wasn't really anyone to take her son around the blog. So Tauntie Shell (me) dressed up as the ocean; took Lady Bug Gabriel and together with mother-in-law we circled the neighborhood for his first Halloween. It was super fun. The following years were much of the same though we all went together - most times I dressed up. There was a house down the street that always took it to the extreme and it was delightful to watch kids get freaked out.

Not only am I missing trick-or-treating with Gabriel and Rebecca but also the new twin girls, Helena and Juliet. And it makes me just a tad bit sad. So I sent Gabriel cookie cutters of a cat, pumpkin, ghost and spider, along with some sprinkles to make holiday cookies. Rebecca told him that he should write me a thank you note. He said "can't we get Tauntie Shell something she would like?" Rebecca said "Like what?" He replied "You should know what she likes."

Tomorrow, I am going to be spending Halloween with Glitter Chicken, LT and maybe some other derby gals. We plan on eating pizza and sitting on the balcony in 32 degree weather (am I in Cleveland?) and throwing candy at the trick-or-treaters.

Not at them.

We plan on aiming for their bags.

No comments: