Saturday, October 04, 2014

Boobs!

Yesterday was my first "boob smash" aka mammogram.  On a run a few weeks ago, Char Char told me the story of a friend whose kids go to the same school as Daniel (is there a shorter way to say that?), she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  She ran into the dad, "James, how was your summer" and he relied "haven't you heard?"  She had breast cancer.  She was going to be ok.  She was going to survive but they had three kids and it was terrifying to imagine not being there for them.  So I told her I would schedule one.  And I did - for right after the Legal Voice Auction.

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer just before I left for the Peace Corps.  I told the Peace Corps about it and they offered to move me to a site not that far away.  But I wanted to go to Cote d'Ivoire because I knew my mother would be Ok.  She had caught it very early.  She had access to great care.  And let's be honest, after all that she has been though concerning her health, cancer was not going to take her away.  It didn't stand a chance.  My mother's will power was too strong.  

However, her will power doesn't translate in to my not getting it.  Though she isn't a carrier of BRCA1 or BRCA2, there is no reason not to get a mammogram.  My insurance covers it.  My age demands it of me.  And I love and respect my body enough to do it.




No comments: