Monday, February 09, 2009

Expectations of winters, commutes and derby...


I left this morning to cars cover with snow and ice on the streets, making my way to my bus stop I was careful not to slip as I didn't wear snow-appropriate shoes (did I tell you I don't have those anymore) plus I didn't know it was snowing until I was leaving and didn't have time to turn back. I tepidly crossed over a parking lot and street and made it to my bus stop. It was packed. I got the one seat left in the "joint" where second section of the articulate bus joined the first part. We picked up another gazillion people at the next stop and headed towards downtown Seattle in the new (since fall) bus lane on 15th. Lisa, the 15 Express super nice and cheerful bus driver, slammed on the breaks - people flew forward - an older man whose always on my bus actually flew thru the joint and bowled into the people standing in the front.

We all got our composure, helped up the man and eventually poured out of bus to grab another. Two cars had decided to pull into a parking lot in front of our bus. I guess they didn't get the public service announcement that it takes a football field for a bus to go from 35 to 0. Our bus driver was ok and eventually enough buses stopped by to pick of the throngs of people waiting on the side of the road. I need to send an email to Metro giving her props. The accident definitely wasn't her fault (and the bus wasn't damaged at all) but it would help for them to know how great she is.

This weekend my Peace Corps friends Megan and Jarett came in from DC. They were on their way to a wedding in Hawai'i and had a day lay over. I bought us all tickets to the Rat City Roller Girls bout at the Key Arena - which was pretty damn sweet. The jumbo-tron showed great hits and even more elusive penalties. The seats were comfy and we didn't have to arrive an hour early just to get a seat. We watch one game before we had to head out and grab something to eat. It was an impressive bout to take them to - as they had really no idea what to expect.


*drawing from Nataliedee.com.

No comments: