Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Charms of Jean Pennee

I have this charm bracelet from my grandmother Clare that is cram packed full of charms. They're beautiful and old and in serious need of cleaning. I finally bought a cleaning solution a few weeks ago just so that I could sparkle it up and wear it out. I've worn it before and had much success snagging my tights or nylons (don't wear it with a skirt) but it also was a great conversational piece. People told me about their mother's charm bracelet (which I also have) and their great aunt's, grandmother's, their own. I have two from my grandmother. One I think she did most the work collecting on her own and one was a gift from her fellow employees at Penny's - maybe her 25th anniversary working there. My grandmother worked for more than 50 years, on and off, at Penny's - and was often recognized for it. I remember a couple of times visiting her when she was working (and the hilarious antics my grandfather would pull on her.)


I have a soft spot in my heart for Penny's. Of course, as a kid, I wouldn't be caught shopping there. But as I entered my career as a poor-ass non-profit fundraiser, I found Penny's was perfect. Their "professionals" section is styled after people my age and isn't full of frumpy blazers and shapeless clothes. They have some great dance-dance clothes and I've bought more than one pair of shoes from them. I like Penny's. I like to look great and not spend so much money on clothes. Though I'm no longer the poor non-profit fundraiser, I still like to shop there because it's comfortable and I know what to expect. It's also affordable. And it's my best kept secret. When people ask me where I got "that great top" - I tell them Jean Penne. They give me that "I don't know that boutique" look and I reveal my secret.


Of course, now that I work downtown and "babysit" other clothing durning my lunch breaks, I don't shop as much at Penny's. I don't shop much anywhere. But when I read about their 4th quarter dip at the end of last year (down like 14% or something) I decided to go visit them on Monday - after working for a bit - for their President's day sale. I was pleased to see that they were well picked over and there wasn't anything that drew my attention. That made me really happy. I don't want to see Penny's go out of business. But that's because I'm sentimental about my grandmother... and some of the great things I've bought there. And how I was able to look stylish - when I don't really like to shop - even when I only made two nickles and a dime.
*photo of the aweomse Penny's dress I got for Carol's wedding last year for super cheap. I LOVE it. It's cute and fits me like a glove.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that dress, this entry, your smile, and my own charm bracelets too! Thanks for being the sunshine of any day that includes reading your blog.