Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kombucha, Agreements and those really nice things in life

Tonight I raced home from a event committee meeting for work. Peeled off my work clothes, threw on derby sweats and skirts and grabbed my skates heading right out the door again. I managed to grab a peanutbutter bar (I call them "Fat Bars" because all of the calories are from fat) and a banana. I was a head of schedule by about 3 minutes - just enough time to swing by the store and grab a kombucha. I love kombucha - especailly the "ginger aide" favored one. Kombucha is a fungus that is brewed like a tea. I'm convinced that it is that secret ingredient to a healthy life. I always feel better after I drink one. It's slight spicy, fizzing (from fermentation) and just full of good stuff. And I needed one. I grabbed two and headed to the check out. Then I started that paniced look for my walet - which I had just had because I had bought gas on the way home. Not in my purse, not in my jacket - oh it was in my other coat - the one I hung up - but forgot my wallet when rushing out the door.

I looked up at the check-out person, Qui, who is a super friendly guy and often asks about practice (when I show up at midnight to grab some groceries after practice) and other things in my life. I pushed the drinks back and told him I couldn't buy them because I forgot my wallet. He said he would pay for them. I insisted that he not. He pulled out his wallet, gave me a ten, when I then gave back to him. He gave me change. I said, I'm off to practice when can I get it to you? He said not to worry, that he would see me around.

Going a million miles an hour, missing the details, he buys my kombucha. And it's a really not a big dealt. But I really appreciated it. It was really nice. It's a nice reminder to just slow down a little bit.

No comments: