Friday, September 26, 2008

What a day...

First WaMu, a Seattle giant, who had already gone under much transformation, selling off debt, cutting staff sank this morning as the FDIC took over the JP Morgan Chase bought what little was left on the skeleton of this giant. Then Heller Erhman, a San Francisco law firm with an office in Seattle had survived the 1906 earthquake, the Depression and was as recently as 2004 rated the one of the top law firms in the nation, dissolved. This effects my organization as we had many cooperating and pro-bono attorneys from Heller. It also effects a friend who had spent almost 10 years at Heller on the admin side. It's finally coming to home to Seattle - the struggles that the rest of the country has been facing have descended upon the Pacific Northwest like an eagle coming to rest.

And here I am writing fall fundraising appeals on a sunny fall day. With such a smack in this city, you feel like you should see something going on... but it's business as usual - or so it appears. I had lunch in the mall 4 blocks from my office and the talk all around me was about the economy and WaMu.

*sigh*

I'm going over to the mountains this weekend to do a little fall camping. I was wanting to write about the last day of being the captain of CarnEvil and how I felt about that (woot! and very proud and somewhat sad) but it seems like those feeling have been replaced by more important things.

No comments: