Saturday, August 09, 2008

Fall... already?

The last few days have been brisk - the kind of brisk that you expect at the end of September as a warning that the hot, sunshiny days are numbered - limited event. I'm not quite ready for these days 6 weeks into our summer. It's been a short summer - though glorious - way too short and the bit in the air makes me want to reach for a sweater and I'm not quite ready for that.

I eventually have to blog about this because it's just too noticeable sometimes and too funny all the other times. I am a klutz. If there is a crack in the sidewalk I will trip on it. If there is an tiny dip, my ankle will turn on it and I will perform an arms-flailing-recovery. I don't get hurt and I rarely make it to all four on the ground (or even one or two for that matter.) About once a year I skin a hand. My mother would probably said it's because I don't lift my feet when walking (pick up your feet Michelle!) and other's might argue it's because of weak ankles (but they're not, I am sure.) Friday was a very intense "I am such a klutz!" day. Walking around to meetings and such, I nearly fell about 4 times and they each garnered a response from passing pedestrians of "OMG! Are you OK?!" And I just smile and keep on walking.

Heidi will say that one of her favorites memories in Egypt was when we were in a boutique and I brought two scarves over to her. We chatted about which color would look better and deciding that neither did the trick, I took them back to the table they came from. She turned to say something to me and caught me just in time as I was flying thru the air, a scarf in each hand. She nearly died laughing as did about everyone else in the store - physical humor is funny! Truly.

I do think, by being such a klutz, I have developed a heightened state of awareness and my body is in constant state of "I'll catch you if you fall". Consequently, my recoveries when I do fall are quick and painless. It has helped me tremendously in derby and in dancing. I think because I'm always expecting to fall -that I rarely do when someone is trying to take me out... At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of fun stories. Stick with all of them :)