Sunday, March 30, 2008

All the things that make a (good) weekend...

There are those parts of the weekend that are worth writing about - like finally getting to spend some time in my P-Patch! Even with SNOW falling on the city of Seattle Friday afternoon (woot! Love the snow. Then sun. Then snow. Then rain. Then snow. oy!), the weather held long enough on Saturday afternoon for me to sneak away and actually work in my P-Patch. Of course it's one of the few growing dandelions as opposed to actual vegetables. I hoed it up and made a goal to plant half of it (the other half covered with mint that I needed to deal with) and I was thrilled to at least get half the plants in.

I went back home to head up to a pool tournament fundraiser for my team. The turn-out was pretty low (and that damn snow had returned! Covering my poor lettuce!) Most of us ended up playing and we made few bucks on the night. Early Sunday morning I found myself awake with a splitting headache at 2 a.m.. Maybe it was from the wine from Friday night when I had some friends over - though we had a great evening, the sulfurs in red wine will often give me killer headaches. Maybe it was from the stress of work and other things. Maybe I was just having a killer headache - at 2 a.m. I did what my mother use to do when I was a sophomore suffering from insufferable insomnia - she would suggest we sleep in another room. (I have no idea what her logic was on that at the time, now I think it was to get me to quit thinking of whatever it was that was keeping me awake and to get me focus on my new surroundings. Whenever I woke her up at 2 a.m. complaining that I couldn't sleep and what should I do, she would suggest we sleep in the den or another room. Whatever it was, it worked.) I got up and curled up on the couch with Monkey. It was freezing cold (snow) but felt better and somehow I managed to crawl past that headache and to sleep.

Today there was no time for P-Patches thought the weather did brighten up a bit (still very cold). I had a team meeting and practice which had it's own aggravating elements. A friend took me out for a beer after practice and sang the lyrics of a Gnarls Barkley song emphasising my own elements of frustration (and we weren't even drunk) and I couldn't stop cracking up. Plus my usual bar tender - Katia (not Katie because there are like a million of them) was there to keep me laughing. Because that's what good friends are for. And P-Patches. These are the things that make you happy some weekends.

No comments: