Friday, February 01, 2008

Just perfectly weird....

This afternoon, my friend Weedy and I were walking back to our respective jobs from having sandwiches at the Honey Hole today when we passed by Le Frock - a vintage clothing store on Pine. I stopped dead in my tracks - dressed on the mannequin in the window was the perfect outfit for a cabaret performance my team is doing later this month. She was wearing a red corset, a long vintage, multi-colored striped skirt (very carnival like but with much taste) and a purple tulle skirt peaking out from beneath. It was perfect! Absolutely perfect!

I grabbed Weedy and went into the store and trying to contain my excitement "I love the outfit on the mannequin! It's perfect! I would really like to try it on please. Do you know the sizes of what she's wearing?" The sales clerk, paused, a medium skirt and a 34 corset. Perfect! Just the right sizes! "Could I try them on?" She looked at the owner who looked back at me. When do you need them by? "February 10th." We're not taking them off the mannequin until March. "Excuse me?" Weedy and I both looked completely perplexed. We're not taking them off. We have other corsets in that size. "What about the skirts?" No. We don't have another one of those (it is a vintage store after all.) If you want to stop by later, I'll try and find something else for you. "But it's perfect for what I need." I couldn't believe it. Not that I felt outraged as a consumer, but why in God's name would you dress up a mannequin in a fantastic outfit if you had NO INTENTION of selling it?

We left. I swung by after work, thinking she would change her mind (plus I said I would). "Hi! I'm the lady to whom you won't sell the outfit on your mannequin... your sales clerk said she would find something else for me." And she did. But it wasn't even close and the whole thing was just hugely disappointing.

And weird.

No comments: