Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Exhilaration...

...is what I felt when I left a multi-league scrimmage on Sunday where I got to skate with gals I knew, complete strangers and those I admired all in the name of the "derby sisterhood." It was so much fun and just reminded me of all the reasons I love this sport.

Last night I went out to Chinese New Year's Dinner with some friends. It was a pretty typical Chinese restaurant found in a strip mall in the suburbs complete with it's very American-Chinese dinner menu, much like the one I worked in all throughout high school and parts of college. I loved it! It also reminded me of how many New Years I worked in that restaurant, until 10 p.m., only to have to be back the next day - usually a bitterly cold day. We headed back to Ballard to be "close to home" for the celebrations - walking to Danni's party. Of course, it was a great time, as it always is. I drink organic wine (yum) but it still managed to give me a headache (which was probably the champagne). We were part of a while elephant gift exchange, I hid some one's prize (because it was so damn cute and I had drank nearly a bottle of wine) and we got home around 3 a.m. Some friends stayed over and all started the new year with a big breakfast and chats about our resolutions... I haven't figured them out just yet.

Resolutions are hard because they have to be reasonable, achievable and hopefully do something to make your life or the lives of people around you better. Last year, my resolution was to not procure another plastic bag. I managed to procure about 15 throughout the course of the year and have completely changed my habits. I always have canvas bags with me, in the car, for groceries or even mall shopping. I've gotten a few other people to try this too. It was a great resolution. I need another one... just like it.

No comments: