Thursday, June 07, 2007

A frog in my mouth... I arrived in Queretaro after two flights, a 2 hour bus ride and taxi to my hostel. The last time I was in a Spanish speaking country I had practice for three weeks before hand, had a traveling companion and felt more confident in my ability to speak. This time around, a variety of things kept me from hitting the language CDs (out first bout, the film festival, work, moving, etc.) and I find that I have a frog in my mouth - when all esle fails, I revert to French. Which isn´t Spanish. Close - but not really. And it´s kind of funny. And it´s completely frustrating - like having a frog in your mouth, chewing on words, trying to find what you want to say and lacking the knowledge... in Spanish. However, I found my hostel (whose ´return´key on the computer doesn´t work) and made my way down to the centro historico where there was a parade! Something was going on with the church. There was also a live band a huge sign about campaign to preventi cervical and breast cancer. I got ripped off, my one time that I allow per country, from a street vendor (who charged me the correct amount but then wanted a tip and when I offered the small coins I had, he took 3 times the cost of the meal, forturnately, I´m allowed to get ripped off - once.) But I didn´t care about the street vendor, as I was more interested in the parade, the people dancing in the historic square, and how much I didn´t quit stand out. Quite a modern city. I´ll be glad to explore the city more tomorrow and meet up with Claudia and her friends too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being ripped off...a parade...keys that don't return...colors...food...and plenty of besos for all...welcome to Mexico! Look for fun shoes, $2.00 netted carry bags that weigh nothing and can carry everything, and great "outsider" art. Knowing you, you'll have a blast...I was missin' Mexico this mornin', and I'd hoped for a blog about it...thanks for the report.