Monday, May 01, 2006

A very expensive cake, a little bit of sun and I blinked.

I was a guest at two very different and fun auctions this week - one benefiting Women's Funding Alliance "Art of Dining" and the other was for Northwest Film Forum. They were run in much of the usual fashion of live auctions, up for bid were vacations to the San Juan Islands, locally made purses and bags, she-she spa packages, film software, a week in a Paris apartment (black out dates from May til Sept but still), a long weekend in Vail, and many other lovely things including cakes. I love cakes. I thought, heck, I can afford a cake. It's a brilliant concept really - don't serve the guests dessert and let them bid on chocolate torte, coconut cream pie, cupcakes (!), pecan pie, and other similar tasty treats. They average $20 - $50 - even if they're going to be used in the live auction, how much will people pay for the cake? The correct answer would be $1,200 for a chocolate cake. $1,200. I didn't get any cake. (But one of the guests at my table went across the street to the drug store and bought some Robin Eggs Easter candy that was on sale for half-price and we had that for dessert instead.)

Sunday was a perfect day for a picnic - two actually. After our morning walk around Greenlake I met up with my friend Anne from college. I got to meet her boyfriend she met on eharmony and another friend whose boyfriend is rowing across the Atlantic Ocean to England with about 15 other boats internationally. Holy cow. We got to visit their boat and chat with one of them for a bit. Then I popped off to hang out with Annika and her friends, also have a BBQ/picnic in a park in North Seattle. We played some kickball and when the sun got low, we took the gathering back to one of the friend's house... ending the evening with more wine and playing the game Apples to Apples. Good times in the sun.

But I blinked at some point over this weekend and all of the green leaves on the trees appeared out of nowhere. They dropped their pink fury coats for vibrant green. I blinked and a house about half way down the block from where I lived was demolished (undoubtedly to make way for more condos). I blinked and got lost three different times (and I'm not one to get lost, but boy, I'm doing a good job of it here.) I blinked and it was Monday morning and I had a meeting in Tacoma.

1 comment:

Oberon said...

......what is the most important thing?