Wednesday, May 17, 2006



They LOVE their Dogs...

"Seattlelites love their pets. I mean they really love their pets." Pygmy told me once a couple of years ago. I agreed that pets are an important part of our lives. But boy, she really did have a point. Seattlelites LOVE their pets, especially their dogs. There are organic food stores, day spas for dogs, dog parks, professional dog walkers, specialized care for your pet- there is a bar on every corner in Wisconsin and a pet store on every corner in Seattle. You'll see them at protests and curled around the feet of their homeless human friend.

There was an interesting article in the Pacific Northwest Magazine about dogs and Seattlelites' love for dogs. One of the interesting points they brought up was that their love dogs here might be a response to the difficulty it is to maintain human relationships in this city. (See Feb 13th blog entry.) There might be a bit of truth here. And don't get me wrong - I like dogs ok. My friends have dogs and I like their dogs. They eat your wedding shoes and your green couch. They protect your house and your family and dig up your garden. They're an excuse to get more exercise and a snuggle buddy when watching a film. They poop like nothing else. They lick your face. They love it when you come home. So you can see why people LOVE their dogs and in a city with this much money, they're willing to spend it on them too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite "New Yorker" cartoonist, BEK has one of my treasured cartoons of a woman pointing at her dog saying, "Sit. Stay. Make up for everything that's wrong in my life." As a pet owner, I have every expectation that my little fur ball will do just that, and I haven't been disappointed. People, on the other hand, are another story! Especially those in elected office...I say, "Go Seattle-ites, buy, adopt, spay, and neuter...may it actually fix what is broken world wide!