Sunday, May 14, 2006

Musicians wanted, something about long lines, no cupcakes for me

Happy Mother's Day! To all mothers - in the extended definition - it really does take a village. My older brother and Margie came up to Cleveland to surprise mom with a visit from the girls! Warbie was really surprised and had a good time while my brothers and father painted a bedroom for her, she hung out with the grandkids. Awwwwww.

My college Anne invited me to a "musical gathering" of artsy folks in Queen Anne on Friday. It turned out that the 15 people who had RSVPed on evite turned out to be just about 7 of us, including a friend of mine who decided to come after a fun little social afterwork with some colleagues. It was kind of like an open-mic of music and musicians, which I'm not. I read a poem I wrote, drank a glass of wine and skipped home to Ballard. Musicians wanted.

Saturday found us back at Tiger Mountain, this time with Pygmy in tow. It was a much easier hike the second time around - probably because we knew what was coming and we didn't run up the Mountain but did a better job pacing ourselves. Though I was still a little sore this morning, I excitedly went over to Pacific Place Mall downtown to volunteer for the Seattle International Film Festival. One of the many jobs I signed up for was "merchandise". Not that I necessarily want to sell stuff - I just want to work with the crowd. I want to meet people; get to know the city better; the film junkies who attend and those who come from other cities. (I can't wait! I love the film festival!
0

So, today was the first day of ticket sales to the public (members were able to purchase tickets the two days before - I bought 5 on Friday with a goal of seeing many films but earning as many volunteers hours as I could so that I could see more film for free!) I sold merchandise - shirts, hats, lunchboxes (!), guide books and such. I took two items, walking down the line of people that curled around the 2nd floor of the mall, I would tell them other ways to support the festival and try to get them as excited about it. I wouldn't talk to the same group twice and sometimes just had to wait until new folks came along. Of course I had fun.

However, there is the phenomenon that I've mentioned before in this crazy town and it's "standing in lines." I asked some other volunteers, that if you had a ticket to a film, how early did you need to get in line? "At least 1/2 before the film starts." What?! I mean you have the ticket. Really? "Well, we really suggest an hour". I guess I'm a bit perplexed by this whole standing in line thing. Desmond Tutu spoke this week at St. Mark's and they were saying on the radio to start lining up at 2 p.m. - he was speaking at 7 p.m. When I go to free screenings, even when I get there an hour early, I'm the 45 person in line. I don't understand why this is. Is it the "free" aspect? Did I always have to stand in lines before and never noticed? Did I just know the right people and get to sneak to the front? I really am perplexed at this and am going to have research this whole "standing in line business" - probably while I'm standing in line. Too bad I can't just put a rock on the ground to hold my spot like I could in Cote d'Ivoire.

Tonight, after running a few errands, I wanted to have a cupcake at my favorite coffee shop. I've been doing a fantastic job eating well, more organic, blad de blah and I thought I deserved a cupcake. After all, I was a "mother" to many young children in Cote d'Ivoire and since they're not here to take me out for a cupcake, I thought I would go out for one myself. They were out of cupcakes. Clearly, everyone had the same idea.

No comments: