Sunday, January 08, 2006

Moving in, mojitos, mini Arlington and Cupcake Royale.

Moving In
Yesterday, Pyg and I packed up our cars. They both managed to be full - one because I didn't do quite the same careful packing job as I had done when I zoomed out here and second because my mother has shipped boxes out - mostly my kitchen stuff, clothes and book. Then it started to pour down rain (and I mean POUR). We watched the last of the Hawkeye game vs. Illinois with Jon - then he threw some furniture they were giving me in the back of his truck and headed two miles west and south to my new neighborhood.

We got there and the manager's wife, Jacqueline, came out to greet us - s0 did another neighbor as if we were in Cote d'Ivoire. The two of them helped us and we had the cars unloaded in a matter of minutes. Pyg organized and put away the kitchen. Jacqueline put together the bathroom and I tried to make sense of it all. One of Pyg's friends (also becoming my friend) stopped by with two queen size inflatable mattresses, some kitchen stuff and a couple of chairs to sit on. It was perfect. My little apartment was coming together.

Two hours later we zoomed off to the Pig (not Pyg) and Whistle for some yummy, yummy food. I was staying one last night at Pyg and Jon's place because I just didn't want to sleep in the midst of "new apartment chaos". After a brief nap (I have the flu by the way) I went off on my second date since coming to Seattle.

Mojitos
He drank mojitos. I had beers. We talked for hours but there were no sparky sparks. (I don't know if I'm expecting too much?)

Mini Arlington
Today is cold. A storm blew in yesterday afternoon and it's actually chilly. Pyg and I walked around Green Lake early in the morning with Listie where the Green Lake Peace and Justice group was putting up cross, tombstones, etc., all made out of white cardboard. It looked like Arlington National cemetery. You could pick some one's name out of the book of all the American soldiers who had died in Iraq, put their name, rank and hometown on a paper (with or without a message) and attach it to one of the tombs. I picked someone from Ohio. There are a lot of dead soldiers from Ohio. All total, in the US, it's more than 2,000 now. That's too many.

I eventually made it back to my apartment where I continued to try and make sense of it all - the apartment that is. Someone was playing music loudly, someone else was running around in the apartment above me and I became nervous that this was a bad choice. But eventually the music stopped, the kid settled down and I put away more stuff.

capsize Royale
And my treat is a chocolate cupcake before I head off to Seattle Steve's for dinner. I don't think this will spoil my dinner.

No comments: