Thursday, January 19, 2006

In Memory of Martin Luther King Jr. (a little late)

Monday was MLK day. That day has become synonymous with any holiday we get off. I didn't notice the free orchestra concerts though there were some parades marking the memory of this man who put every effort forth to assure a different place in history. I wonder how many people noticed or though of him on Monday - at least for a moment.

I did. Ironically, I thought of him late last week when I became aware, as I have before, of how miserable many people are in their jobs. I have a friend who wishes "I was just more useful, I was actually doing something important." My brother, whose not miserable being his own businessman, recollected when taking the kitty-friends to the vet how people responded to her. "I was at the vets and there were all of these people depending on the vet to take care of their animals - essentially make them happy. I make people happy that their networks run but it's not quite the same."

I have other friends who just wish they were passionate about their jobs, felt like they were making a difference somehow. It's not jus supervisors (though that can be a part of it) it's the lack of that feeling of worth. It's a large part of the day - of our lives - our "work".

It made me think of Dr. King and his work organizing, agonizing, persuading, fighting, righting the wrongs and trying to change this work and make it better for his people, for all of us. He certainly was not alone in his fight but he was willing to stick his head out and ultimately it cost him his life. I'm sure though, he loved his work.

So this is what I'll wish you all on this post-MLK day - I hope that all of you find passion in your "work" - whatever it may be - and make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Passion is a key that unlocks many doors. Even if work is not one of them, finding it somewhere sweetens all morning coffees (or teas!). I second your wish be it in the workplace or in front of the fireplace. A toast to passion.

passionately, harper