Saturday, December 03, 2005

New friends, new experiences
A friend at work pass along a party invite for a capoeira party in the Capitol Hill area - I had an general address for this performance studio. After finding an exit and a direction, I found a parking spot not too far from where I needed to be. Of course, I was looking at the completely wrong interesting (Pine & 12th instead of Pike and 12th) and couldn't find the place and when I finally righted myself I couldn't get in - the door was locked. I knocked, I rang the bell, I waited five minutes. Then someone who clearly knew how to get in, came knocking on the windows. We were allowed in (I fell down the ramp entrance - again - note to self - shoes with rubber soles). I met all kinds of people. Most of them lived in the neighborhood; some worked at the capeoira center; some were students and had other jobs; some were full time instructors. All of them welcomed me. I shared my Samba stories. I met the guy whose birthday was being celebrated by a pot luck. I met many wonderful people.

I learned that the Wonder Bar (not bra) in Wallingford has Samba on Friday nights. Chop Seuy is a club on Madison (I walked by it when I abandoned the bus on Friday) which has CD release parties, hosts indy bands, rock, hip hop, reggae, etc. I learned that the best Samba instructor in the city, Janelle, teaches at a community center close to where I am living currently.

I also decided that I need to live in that neighborhood... reminds me of how I met most of my first friends in Cleveland - through dancing.

No comments: