Friday, November 15, 2013

Next Steps

The dust has barely settled from an exciting, exhausting long weekend in Milwaukee but I'm excited to be heading back to the trails - running with the High Heel Running Group.

I started running as part of my ACL recovery. I had actually started running before in early morning Chris Kirchoff's Early Morning Boot Camp but it always hurt my back and heels.  I was misdiagnosed with plantar fasciitis and it wasn't until I was in physical therapy that my therapist said that my problem was that I was a heel pounder - which is why my back and heels hurt so much.  Fixing my running became yet another issue that PT fixed - that tearing my ACL taught me. (It really was a blessing in disguise.)

I enjoy trail running for many of the same reasons I love derby.  Great camaraderie with a group of gals who all have different running experiences.  Some of them have been running their wholes lives and some just picked it up.  Even when you run the races, the terrain is a great equalizer - much like the wheels on your roller skates.   It's not a team sport but still has a great, supportive atmosphere.  It's also still very DYI.  There aren't big bank race sponsors with VIP tents and swag bags touting the latest race, headband, gear, running shoes.  There aren't thousands of people pounding the trails. Often its a race director that has a vision or an idea of a great run - maybe a run he or she does often on their own and they want to share the challenge.  You make the sandwiches you're going to eat at rest station. You run one race and volunteer the next. 

You race up the hill like a bunny, in the woods on a snowy day where you're sure that unicorns or gnomes will appear around the corner.  It's pretty magical.  And it's time to get back on the trails.  I'm starting back at 3 miles... Oof. I have a long way to go.


The Oatmeal - if he had to put a running sticker on his car - it would be this one.  If I put a race sticker on my car, it would be this one as well.

No comments: