Friday, January 06, 2012

Believing again and again...

Tonight's scrimmage was not the Carnies' most shining moment.  It wasn't the worst we've been either - not by a long shot.  We all left the floor still liking each other, not nearly frustrated enough but a little bit clueless about what to do.  It was also the first time we had all been together since break.  I raced home to find this quote and repost it to my team - because I believe it.  Because I believe if you try hard enough, with the right spirit and strength - you can not lose.

"In the end, it's extra effort that separates a winner from second place. But winning takes a lot more that that, too. It starts with complete command of the fundamentals. Then it takes desire, determination, discipline, and self-sacrifice. And finally, it takes a great deal of love, fairness and respect for your fellow man. Put all these together, and even if you don't win, how can you lose?"- Jesse Owens

I play for the the league's least winning team.  I play but I keep coming back. I keep coming back because in spite of the crazy, the frustration, the losses, our team spirit is very strong.  We actually like each other.  We respect each other.  We care for each other.  And that makes you want to come back.  We may need to push each other a bit more (and some of us may need to look in the mirror before we throw that stone at that glass house) but the spirit is just right on that team.
And that's what keeps me coming back.

I have faith that we will get it together in the next week to put on a great game and give the Hulas a run for their money.  I also found my rose colored glasses.  (I hope they still fit, they've been misplaced for a while.)

No comments: