Monday, December 21, 2009

A week of disappointments...

This last week was one of those weeks - where you had to teach your coworkers how to talk about budget cuts, when your birthday got passed over (as usual) and you try not to seem upset about it but you can't help yourself, when you keep writing out holiday greetings knowing you're not going to get any in return (but that's not why you write them - you write them because you care damnit)- it was one of those weeks - that ended most wonderfully.

I ended the week on Friday, (see above) exhausted and just hung out at the apartment, prepared the place a little for the flea bombing (today). I ended up drinking a little too much (not intentionally) and going to bed whooped. Saturday was another story. As someone who never falls in practice, I bit it twice hard at practice and had the shakes (coming down off the hangover) but I had a couple of oranges and made it through the rest of the morning. The evening was fantastic as I went, with 10 of my dearest friends, to "The Land of Sweets" Nutcracker Burlesque - my 3rd year in a row - a new "tradition". We had a wonderful time. I cheered for all the main players (and that made my friends laugh but don't they understand performers feed off of that.) And we all totally feel in love with one of the snow princesses... of course the next day I decided that I had a general lapse in judgement (that comes about twice a year and usually both times in December) and suffered a bit of a hangover on Sunday.

But the birthday wishes - coming on my facebook and by phone - made me so happy. I often think people have the wrong assumptions of me. Truthfully, I am not one to take center stage as the leading actress but would much prefer to be a stage manager behind the scenes getting shit done. But every-once-in-a-while, it's very nice to be acknowledged. And it was. I went to breakfast with Heidi, Jon, Lucy and Lara, came home and took a nap and then went and scrimmaged with the Harem and had tasty beverages with both teams afterwards. It was a great way to end the 2009 derby season and a great way to celebrate my birthday...

Thank you. What a wonderful week.

No comments: