Monday, November 23, 2009

When Do Herbs & Spices Give Up the Ghost?

I felt like such a domestic goddess today as I thumbed through the spice box to see just how old they were and why they were all dated 2008... Didn't I cook a turkey last year? (Turns out that I didn't.) What happened to 2009 spices? How old was this chili? And this oregano?

The whole day I was a domestic goddess as I stayed home for yet another day of furlough. We are taking two weeks this year and I am taking them both in November (which means I'll be broke in December.) Today I got up, dropped Lara off at the bus stop and went to the store to get some breakfast treats for a friend who was coming over at 9:30. Indy and I worked on derby stuff (while eating coffee cake and drinking coffee) before she headed out to pick up her daughter at noon. I had a peanut butter sandwich (with honey) for lunch. I always forget to each lunch on my days off and end up starving which means I can't eat my tasty salad. Made some calls about an HIV presentation I'm going to give on Monday.

I changed in to sweats and dropped off some stuff at the dry cleaners, walked around Greenlake (3 miles) and came home to answer more emails and start dinner. Whole foods. Slow foods. Homemade food. Beans and rice. Plain and simple and delicious.

After dinner, I decided that I needed a nap. Even as I rocked as the "domestic goddess" DIVA, I was still tired. I did a lot of derby work and some things for the CAB. I worry though, that if I was honestly a domestic goddess diva - for real and not just for a few days a year - that I could end up an alcoholic. I mean because I was thinking, around 3 p.m., that it would be great to have a glass of wine while I started dinner... and one would have been fine. But once you open the bottle... and it's only 3 p.m.... that can be a slippery slope.

Luckily I'm only pretending.

No comments: