Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Inspired...

Tonight I went and saw Regina Spektor (an anti-folk singer song writer, born in Russian, emigrated to the US at 9 years old) with Lara at the Paramount tonight. We had combined funds to purchase the VIP tickets from the Legal Voice Auction. I hadn't been to a concert in ages. I was excited - exhausted and couldn't way to just go out and hear a great show.

I stayed late at work and headed down to the show. The "Paramount Club" which is what the VIP ticket bought you wasn't much more than a private bar with cheese, salami and crackers (I kid you not.) But the bar line wasn't crowded, the drinks were resonably priced (I haven't had a White Russian - which I chose in honor of Regina Spektor - in years.) It was kind of funny because some of the patrons, you could tell, went there all of time time. Some patrons were new - and were asking things like "how do you do this? I mean how do you cut these cheeses with there little knives." Hmmm. It was fun to be "exclusive" but not really - that exclusive.

The show itself was FANTASTIC! I was introduced to Regina Spektor by my friend Brandi who had bought her CD from CD Baby (which essentially gave you two for the price of one. One you kept - one you shared.) I had become a huge fan. But then MyPod (my Ipod) played her constantly (as it does with the Gorillas) and I had to take her off for a while. What a great show! Her vocal range is amazing. She's a super talented pianist and her lyrics, much like Andrew Bird's, make you listen, laugh and feel totally engrossed in the story she's telling you. It was such a great show and honestly, the whole time I was inspired and kept thinking... why aren't I the filmmaker I thought I would be?

Hmmm.

Inspired.



My two favorite songs from tonight: Machine and Folding Chair.

My favorite song - On the Radio - from her previous work.

No comments: