Thursday, July 30, 2009

Unexpected Fun...

I wasn't sure I wanted to be back at RollerCon but I'm having a great time so far! My flight was just great. I picked up my brand-spanking new rental (baby blue Accent, with no power anything)l and then sat in traffic (you can't escape it!) - and then stood in line after dropping off my luggage - to register for my classes, insurance, etc. Bess and I headed off to the store to buy food snacks (we both love yogurt and granola for breakfast and IPAs - woot!) Then back to the hotel, over to a class and then to Fremont Street scrimmages - which are held in the older part of Las Vegas and are generally amusing. Back to the hotel, cleaned up for a banquet and then headed to Black & White scrimmaging - on polished cement. It was hilarious - and crazy. Polished cement is so slippery to skate on - it's the great equalizer. We were all bad at derby all of the sudden and it took many jams to get use to the floor (if you ever did.) The crazy fast, running everywhere in the first day - it's felt intimate and not so overwhelming. I'm glad to be here - at RollerCon - in this hot, crazy, totally unsustainable, fake city that everyone loves. It's fascinating.

No comments: