Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A quiet walk in the hood...

I tried to go on a walk with one of my teammates tonight but our schedules didn't cooperate so I took off on my own - too late to meet up with those already at Greenlake.  I walked down 65th Street towards the Puget Sound.  I know there is a quick way to get down to Golden Gardens from the time a couple of years ago when Pygmy, Listie and I accidentally walked from Carcreek Park to Golden Gardens (during low tide).  We walked up the stairs to the top of the hill and back to her house.  But I wasn't exactly sure which street that was so I kept walking... It was a lovely evening - in the high 60's and the air was filled with the scent of every possible thing in bloom.   Eventually 65th dead ended into 32 and the hill sloped down towards the water and it was a beautiful evening with the Olympics just beyond Puget Sound.  The older houses I walked by were lovely - and why not - they had one of the best views in the city - with windows facing west to capture as much light as possible.  

I passed by the Nordic Heritage Museum - which I knew about but didn't know where it was located.  It looked like it might have been a school at some point in Old Ballard (and reading their website you find it was just that -  red brick school building that was originally Daniel Webster Elementary School. Located in Ballard, the heart of Seattle’s Scandinavian community, Webster School educated generations of Scandinavian and other immigrant children who came to this region, including many of our own volunteers.)   My family is half Norwegian - my father is Norwegian (mother right off the boat) but I can't say I felt much affinity for Norway.  It was mostly something my grandfather would make jokes about. Though it might be fun to visit.  

It was a nice evening to stroll in my neighborhood - I need to spend more time it.

No comments: