Monday, April 13, 2009

Another bout sittin' out...

We have this policy in our league that you have to be back on the floor, practicing our full contact sport ONE month prior to skating in that bout, no matter what the source of the injury was - from a broken ankle due to a fall in derby to a problematic omentum - you have to be bouting full contact for a month.  I was given clearance on April 1st - which was only two weeks ago.  And though my injury is healed and I feel GREAT (a little less on the endurance side) I couldn't bout.  But it didn't kill me either.  It was a total bummer not to be able to bout Grave Danger (my friend Sara Problem's team) I was glad to help out by calling the lineups.  

Of course I learned a lot by calling lineups - my second time in a row.  As a captain, I use to spend hours agonizing over them.  What I've learned in these last two bouts is that they a
ll go to hell after about the 6th jam  because people are in the penalty box.  Really don't stress about them.  Figure out how to get a good lineup in and make sure you're having fun.  That's how my team does well.  We play 10x better when the premise is to go out and have a good time.  It should be our strategy from here on out.

Sunday, post bout, Easter, cold, rainy, bleh, I spent curled up on the coach with my coffee watching a documentary about a woman who had survived the Holocaust and was having a real hard time with her grandchildren marrying outside her faith.  It was a tough film and touching but didn't put me in the best of moods.  I went to hydro fit to clear my mind - but had a new instructor and though I liked her work out - it was a little repetitive (read: boring.)  Dinner at Heidi's was a chilled out good time with kids.  After dinner, Lara had rented Twin Peaks from the library - which I use to watch in the kitchen at the Chinese restaurant (I worked at in high school) on Sunday nights while trying to clean up and close down for the night.  I totally remember certain parts of it and others are just baffling.  It's fun to watch because it's suppose to take place in Washington (filmed just outside of Seattle actually).  What a funny show - so dramatic  - it cracks me up now.  The 90's were good at that.

* photos of peeps.  I love peeps.  I use to use them in dioramas and such since college days... also in the 90's...

No comments: