Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Another snow day, Random ingredients, snow bound orphans

I told my ED (executive director) yesterday that if it was snowing when I woke up this morning I wasn't coming to work - she said she wasn't coming in at all. I woke up at 7 a.m., looked out onto the porch and went back to bed - it was pouring down snow.


Yesterday after work, I went, for the second time, to the Burlesque Nutcracker with Puja, Mona, Megan, Josh and Lara. It was great as it was last year - however this time we had ROCK STAR seating because we got there so early. It was charming, sexy, elegant, wonderful and super creative - and something I would love to do - if I had the time and money (it's pricey to learn). I know burlesque is going to be the second career after derby of Drew Blood and even Megan is considering it. It's one of those empowering, positive body image, with athleticism and creativity that is much like derby. (I often call derby athletes performing burlesque on wheels.) And I always enjoy this production - I enjoyed my company, dinner and tasty beverages even more.


After getting up later, Lara and I figured out what we would be cooking for our snow bound orphans (Derika, Dani and perhaps Arson Annie) and came up with plenty of vegetarian delights for Dani - a delicious veggie/root roast. With list in hand, we trumped down to the grocery store in the slushy snow where a million other people were trying to get groceries for the holidays. On our list for the veggie roast was sherry - which I've never bought before and don't know what else I would use it for. That's the thing about the holidays, you end up acquiring herbs and spices that you only use one time a year - if that. (Luckily, the Ballard Market has a bulk spice and nut section - just not for things like sherry.) Sherry evokes a strange emotion in me - I can't quite say I'm conformable with it. I had a friend whose mother was an alcoholic and when she ran out of all other alcohol she would drink the cooking sherry, rice wine, whatever she could fine - which I find utterly disgusting and a sign of complete desperation. So now I have a bottle of sherry. I hope I can find additional uses for it.


The snow has turned to rain - as I type this blog. I put a snowman back together on my way home from the store (picture) - his eyes, nose and mouth had fallen off. I'm meeting a friend for a tasty beverage at 4:30 p.m. and am taking Pygmy and family to the airport at 10:30 p.m. I'm making cranberry relish (cranberries, orange, Cinnamon stick) and the crust for the veggie roast. I might watch Hedwig later on. It's going to be a great rainy snow day.

No comments: