Monday, May 26, 2008

Where was I in high school?

The headliner last night at Sasquatch Festival was The Cure. I was all excited to hear The Cure though I didn't recognize their first three songs and then like one of every three. Everyone around me was rocking out but I was kind of wondering what the hell was I doing in high school? What music was I listening to? Who was emoting my high school pain? I just don't remember but it clearly wasn't The Cure.

Yesterday was a much nicer day - cooler and less annoying. It was actually a good day for people watching. The musical acts were pretty good - of course my favorite being the ones who pulled in audience like Michael Franti and Spearhead (who were amazing)! Death Cab for Cutie was pretty good but he wasn't nearly as engaging as I thought he would be. We started the day off with Cold War Kids, saw Tegan & Sara (great), The Blakes (only for a minute, I didn't think they were that good), then Michael Franti & Spearheads, Death and ended it with The Cure - who went on to play a 2.5 hour show. Towards the end, they started playing more songs that I had actually head of but by that point I was in the car waiting for the rest of my party to join me... and reading a very good article about man-made diamonds in my Smithsonian.

(We end the night at a very nice Best Western in Ephrata, Washington. Ephrata is a small town north of I-90 that was called Station 11 at one point. And I swear, all of the mid-range hoteliers must have all gone to the same convention last year for they all have same rounded shower bar that give the impression of a bigger shower... and I stayed in 6 hotels last year and none of them had this...I digress.)

Today's lineup includes Flight of the Conchords (hilarious) and the Flaming Lips who I so badly want to see but there is a divide in the group and some of us are staying and some are leaving early. And I'm joining the ladder group. I've had a great time but I didn't take Tuesday off and I'm not interested in getting home at 2:30 a.m., working a full day, going to a meeting and then going to practice. I kind of want to relax a little. So I'm going to split early. This is the most music I've ever seen in my life (film is another story) and I'm pretty excited to have had the experience and it was worth EVERY PENNY. But two days is enough... and I'll get home in time to enjoy what little bit is left of my Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: