Monday, May 19, 2008

If only...

I called my doctor today to ask her if I needed to come in and get checked out because of my concussion. She was out but they would follow-up with the doctor on call. They called me back later - of course I should have come in right away but since it had been a few days and I hadn't felt "weird" since (nor had blacked out again, vomited, or been out for longer than 2 minutes) they were fine with me not coming in but to be careful and avoid (obviously) head injury. I told them about the muscle strain in my neck - whiplash from the hit and/or fall - and they recommended Advil three times a day and an icepack.

Of course, Weedy recommended that I get a massage. I wasn't sure I could find any time before this next weekend with my crazy schedule and called my favorite Ballard Massage Center (just 4 blocks down the street) and managed to get a late evening massage. My usual masseuse was out on Mondays - but this was the only time that I had even a tiny window of time. I was assigned to a guy who did great work on head and necks. And holy cow! After 30 minutes, I didn't even know that I had been injured! He worked my head, neck and muscles surrounding my vertebrae. Half of the time I wasn't even sure where my head was going or what he was doing but he worked out knots that were not from this recent injury and the strain for this weekends hit. It was amazing - when I stood up, the side of my neck was only slightly tender from being stretched, pulled, and worked on but not strained and sore. Massage was my lifesaver.

If only my doctor's office had said "let me write you prescription for a massage" instead of "take Advil 3 times a day..."

Ha. If only more people had health insurance...

No comments: