Sunday, May 04, 2008

Convertible Suntan, Sacramento, Derby Junkie

Saturday started off with our first "international" derby scrimmage, as the Terminal City gals came down from Vancouver, BC to bout with us first thing in the morning (ok, at like 10 a.m.) I excited, slightly wired from early morning coffee and thrilled to be playing with gals we didn't know but were comparable in skill. We played a super fun scrimmage and I took off with one jam left to "wash up" in the roller rink bathroom, took part in a group photo and ran out the door into the pouring rain - heading to the airport to catch a flight to Sacramento.

I arrived in Sacramento and Pia Mess picked me up on her way down from San Francisco. Both of us were down there to support the Socket Wenches (which Pia use to play on and I had friends on). We dropped off our bags at the hotel, I cracked open a beer and we headed to the bout with the Socket Wenches. It was very warm (and I was thrilled to actually be "hot".) The first bout was a blow out between the Sacred City Roller Girls "B" team and the Silicon Valley Roller Girls, which Pia was helping to coach. After this game finish, the Socket Wenches when up again the Sacred City Roller Girls, whom my travel team had played 7 months ago (we got creamed.) It was an very riveting and close game - a perfect game for 3 of Lara friends who had never seen derby. There were some serious reffing problems (like serious) and some dirty cheating but in the end, it was a damn good time.

We all headed to an after party (Pia headed back to the hotel with heat exhaustion), crashing to bed around 2 a.m. I got up early enough to catch the Continental breakfast and hang out by the pool (but not in it) until it was time to head to a scrimmage in Stockton with all kinds of gals from all over California. I've been to California 3 times - twice on the "outwest field trips" in high school where I only visited national parks like Yosemite and Lassen Peak and this weekend. We gathered up some skaters and Pia opened up the roof to her convertible and we took off for the 45 minute or so drive to Stockton. It was a a beautiful drive and I got a convertible sunburn on my face and shoulder (compete with a half sunburn on my front, because part of me was in some random shade.) We stopped by a delicious taco stand near Stockton where everyone was celebrating Cinco de Mayo! It was festive everywhere!

We arrived at the venue and I geared up to bout. I felt a lot like I did on Saturday - excited and slightly wired but this time is was from being slightly hungover. The floor was slippery as hell (painted cement) and I managed to take myself out 3 times jamming just trying to crossover. It was hilarious and though I love jamming, I just couldn't get use to the floor (my wheels are just grippy enough for wood) and I spent more time blocking. It was fun to play with gals from all over California and hear their stories, why they're there, what brought them there and what derby has done to change their lives - all fantastic stories and all the reasons I'm a junkie. I got a ride back to the airport with a skater's boyfriend who rented a convertible and we chatted about environmental design and trying to make the world a better place while getting some more sunshine driving along I-5 in the sunshine state.

And now I have my Sacramento convertible suntan to take me to the week...until I can get my next derby hit...

No comments: