Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Keeping it in perspective.... part II

So tonight after leaving a late work meeting for our fall campaign kick-off one of my newer colleagues said on the way out the door "Michelle, I was going to tell you this tomorrow but I thought I would tell you know. I really like working with you. We're a very good team." And instead of saying "thank you", I stammered on "well, I enjoy working with you too." I couldn't just take a compliment and appreciate it.

I had to learn this in the Peace Corps. Someone would give you their village's only chicken and you could not give it back, you could not refuse it, your only option was to say "thank you". Learning to receive is one of the toughest lessons. It's easy to give - give a compliment, a gift - it makes you feel good, it's easy. But to receive is more humbling and more difficult.

Saying "thank you" can be the hardest thing to do sometimes.

No comments: