Friday, July 06, 2007

Happy 231st birthday!

I participated in my first 4th of July parade as the Jet City Rollergirls rolled down Colby, shouting "Happy 4th" and cheering for the fans, (who were cheering for us.) It was super fun to be with such a passionate group of gals. The parade was short - barely a mile - but long enough for me to get oddly shaped sunburns through the elbow pads on my arms.

I went back home to Seattle, took a few laps around Greenlake before heading back up to Edmonds for a tiki BBQ at my friend Sassy's house whose backyard had been tikified and all of her friends were part of the rockabilly crowd. After some tasty Mai Tais, dips, pies, tiny kee-bobs, and watching a bigger small dog try to snack on a mini-small dog, we headed back to Seattle to pick of my friend Christy - who I knew as a volunteer at Planned Parenthood in Cleveland. She had emailed me periodically over the years to tell me of her many adventures and recently she said she would be landing in Seattle. I told her to call and she did!

We picked her up and dashed off to another BBQ on Dexter, where the grill ran out of gas (but just as my brats were done grilling), overlooking Lake Union where one of the best fireworks show in the city was. It was like having a seat in the center row of the auditorium. We got to see it all. (Fantastic!) Traffic took forever (taking Christy back to her rented room in Capitol Hill) and I crashed out having had one of the best 4th of Julys in a very long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Crashed out from One of the Best, thanks for starting my day with a parade, a cookout, and a pass-out likely included a sleeping beauty smile...you're the best.