Friday, August 25, 2006

"Roller Derby" in French, Poll workers, and broken ankles...

So my French friend Christophe contacted me after years of not hearing from him. We exchanged a couple of email messages - he's now go two kids, still working in computers, still married to Michele from Cote d'Ivoire whose working in human resources (I think that's what I read.) I updated him on my current life, some other Peace Corps friends and other French friends. Then I told him my latest crazy thing was roller derby and sent him a link to the Rat City Roller Girls. He sent me an email back saying in French, essentially "I don't understand your roller derby - what is this?" "Well, it's roller skating. You try to win points. There are two teams who skate and try to get points." Good grief - I can barely explain it in English yet alone in French....

I signed up yesterday to be a poll worker - not "pole worker" which I am sure most of you expected. King County (where Seattle resides) was still in need of poll workers for the election. In the 2004 election I had been a Democratic challenger for the election. I just made sure everyone got a fair shot at voting. When I saw it in the paper I decided it was time for my generation to step up. Though I've appreciate little aunt Millie working the polls for the last 70 years, it's time for someone else to take charge. Two days a year. I think I can do that.

Broken ankles - luckily mine is not broken but my friend Heidi (not to be confused with Pygmy) whose girlfriend got me into derby in the first place, fell and broke her ankle. I hung out with them last night. She ended up having to have surgery. But she's going to be fine - and she'll be back in derby before we know it. That's the spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't help it. I think you are "the closer" of Blog World. Kyra Sedgewick may have scored on USA tv land, but you are my vote for Cyber world. Your last sentences are definitely "closers" worth their own publication. Test my theory. Read them.

That's the spirit.

off to the land of waterfalls...