Thursday, April 13, 2006

Starring Michelle as Moses!

Today is Passover (Pesach)– you know when God killed all the first born sons of Egyptian families where the Jews where living, and not so happily I might add, and “passed over” their houses, sparing their sons. I made this comment once in Egypt when I was there during Passover in 2000 and remarked “Oh, today is Passover. Happy day.” My friend rolled her eye and said “Michelle, I can’t imagine this was happy day for Egyptians”. Oh, right.

Anyway, Passover is one of my favorite holidays as a non-practicing anything. I have spent the last 4 of 6 Passovers since my return from Peace Corps sharing at sedars with my friend Rebecca and her family. (Last year I was lucky enough to also be a part of Honey’s sedar.) Rebecca makes great matza ball soup, charoset (yum); bitter herbs, lamb, chicken (also) and all of the other fixings. I have to bring a bottle of wine and/or juice and get to feast with the extended family, plus we go thru the haggada - a pretty lefty one provided by her father (along with an orange on the sedar plate).

The most delightful aspect of the whole evening is we had a kit designed to make Passover fun for children. It comes complete with all of the plagues including cottonball hail, plastic locuses, food coloring blood, silly sickly moo-cows, tiny rubber fleas and other such plagues. And two hand puppets – one of Moses and the other of Pharaoh. I get to play Moses. Adam, much taller, and slighty more intimidating man (whose really a teddy bear) always plays the Pharaoh. When we get to the part in the heggeda where Moses says, Pharaoh, let my people go! I get to say it, of course, with dramatic zeal. Pharaoh and Moses fight for a while (as hand puppets go). The now-five-year-old joins in by throwing hail, fleas and cows at the pharaoh and general plague chaos ensues. It’s a great time.

No comments: